Your body depends on water to survive.
If you don’t replace the water you lose, you can become dehydrated.
Signs of dehydration
- Dry mouth
- Little or no urine
- Sleepiness or fatigue
- Extreme thirst
How much water should I drink each day?
Most healthy people can stay well hydrated by drinking between 6 and 8 glasses of water a day. Water is the best option for staying hydrated. Other drinks can help, but may add extra calories to your diet.
Benefits of drinking water
- A glass of water before meals helps you feel fuller
- Helps pump up your metabolism
- Boosts your energy levels
- Lowers stress
- Allows you to exercise for longer – prevents muscle cramping
- Nourishes skin
- Good for improving digestion
Tips for staying hydrated
- Keep a bottle of water with you during the day.
- If you don’t like the taste of plain water, try adding a slice of lemon or lime to your drink.
- Make sure you always drink water before, during and after a workout.
- When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. Drinking water may also contribute to a healthy weight-loss plan.